October 15, 2012

Welcome to Campinas


We arrived in Campinas last Thursday and had a great welcome from Fernando's friends here.  We were welcomed into their beautiful house, barbecued and took us around the city, and even threw me a mini birthday party on Saturday!  I am really thankful to know people that are so welcoming and kind.  We moved into our new home for the next two weeks (a hotel by Fernando's work) and while Fernando works, I am filling my time studying Portuguese, looking for apartments, and watching some TV.  We will hopefully be moving soon as there are a lot of nice places that I have found.  Rent is fairly cheap for a big city at about R$1200 for a decent 2 bed 2 bath, so I don't think we will have too much of a problem finding something this weekend.  Fernando had his first day of work today and seems happy with it, but he signed a confidentiality agreement so I don't know much!  Since I don't have too much news yet, I have added some pictures of our wonderful weekend and my birthday party.  I will keep you updated when we find a place and get to know more about the city!

Pretty Roses from the Neighbors

A beautiful gas station on the way to Campinas made out of wood
Inside of the gas station restaurant, a giant tree cut out of the ground and raised up to to ceiling. 
Our host and Fernando in the best room of the house, the BBQ room!
GIGANTIC cicada skeletons
I can't even keep an orchid alive for a week and they have their old ones growing on the trees outside! Absolutely beautiful!
I'm in love with these dogs!
Preparing my birthday barbecue
Fresh gorgonzola and crackers, yummmm!
The whole gang, great company!
My delicious birthday cake and firework candle!
Sad that she can't have any cake...

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good bday and a good trip to Campinas!!! Can't wait to hear about your adventures in the big city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you, Jordan....you have such a great, adventurous outlook on life. Can't wait to hear more. I love you and miss you very much, but glad you are happy and moving ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tree gas station is amazing!

    What a cool bunch of friends! I'm glad that my worries that you night not have anyone celebrate your bday were for naught.

    ReplyDelete


Blog Archive